Our Elder

Our Elder

Monday, August 29, 2016

DAY 1

Today was quite busy but still fun and meaningful. Just after you dropped me off, the host missionary handled my bags for me until I made it to my dorm room. Before that point, I was given a heavy blue bag with all the Spanish language materials and other MTC documents. Next, I packed up my scriptures and important books in the messenger bag which I left in the classroom. I then went to a computer lab to complete an entrance survey and the gym briefing. I then went back to class and met my companion, Elder Torp, at around 1:50. He is from Atlanta, Georgia and will be going to the corner of the country opposite from where I'm going for his mission - Everett, Washington. I was temporarily in a trio with Elder Holmstrom, as well, since his companion's flight was delayed, causing him to arrive late. I am in Zone 24, and everyone in my classes/dorm group is assigned to a Spanish speaking mission. After one hour of class taught almost completely in Spanish, I went to the president's orientation and learned more of my purpose and reasons for being here. Next I went to dinner (at 4:15; normally it will not be quite that early) and then reorganized my bags for the evening's classes. There, I got to see three simulated lessons with investigators - which were all quite interesting. The second investigator did not belong to any religion but still believed God was real because she figured that most human cultures worshipped a Supreme Being - something greater than ourselves - in some form or other. Even Stephen Hawking, she said, thinks of physics as a higher power instead of God. Her questions eventually led us into deep doctrines such as "If God has a body, does that mean he came from another planet?" and she left the lesson confused. Different missionaries from a number of districts helped comment in these lessons. Next, I met my zone leaders and they have given me a short tour of some buildings in the MTC, leading me to Building 2, where I am e-mailing you from in a computer lab. My dorm is in Building 15, most classes are Building 8, church in Building 11 and the cafeteria in Building 1. I know that I still have a long way to go before I can teach lessons effectively and learn to do what's best for the people I teach, but that this is the place to be to prepare to do that. People have different reasons for being curious about the Church, and I have to learn how to address them. It will be good to get through a few more days and settle into the routine of life here. Sleep well!

No comments:

Post a Comment